- Consider locking any electrical appliances (such as blow dryers, electric shavers, etc.) in your luggage. Suitcases should always be locked so they cannot be used to carry your property out of your room.
- Determine the most direct route to and from your room to the fire escapes, elevators, and nearest telephone.
- If you are staying in a hotel or motel, take all of your luggage and valuables to your room.
- Keep a daily check of your belongings.
- Never leave money, checks, credit cards, car keys, or valuables in the room. Take them with you.
- Place extra cash, expensive jewelry, or other valuables in the hotel / motel safe.
- Report any lost or stolen items to the hotel / motel management and to the police.
- Report to the management any suspicious movements in the corridors or rooms.
- Unpack and place belongings in the closet and dresser. Arrange your things so you'll know if anything is missing.
- Use the door viewer to identify anyone requesting entry. Open the door only if you are certain the person has a legitimate reason to enter your room. If in doubt, call the hotel / motel office.
- When occupying or leaving your room, use all auxiliary locking devices on doors and windows. You may want to purchase a portable door lock for traveling.