Fall Leaf Collection Program
Please click “here” to access the schedule for the zone in which you
During leaf collection season:
Zone 1, Zone 2 and Zone 3 have two (2) leaf collections scheduled per zone.
- Staff removes leaves that are placed at the curb and/or in biodegradable paper bags. Leaves and bags must be curbside on the Monday of the scheduled week of pick-up.
- If you do not have your leaves ready and/or you miss the first scheduled removal, a second removal has been arranged for your Zone. Please click “here” to view the schedule.
- If you have leaves after the second scheduled removal, please place the leaves in a paper biodegradable bag and transport them to the Compost Site for processing. Please click “here” for location and hours.
As stated in the “Guidelines” below, the leaves are composted into mulch
provided free to the residents of Upper Merion Township.
After Leaf Collection season has come to an end, staff are charged with
the responsibility of converting the leaf collection trucks into snow and ice
maintenance trucks for the winter weather conditions.
In the event inclement weather (snow, sleet and/or ice) occurs during leaf collection season, equipment used to remove leaves will be converted to handle the inclement weather and adjustments will be made to the Leaf Collection Program.
For more than 40 years, the Upper Merion Township Public Works Department annual leaf collection program has collected more than 1,500 tons of leaves each year and composts them on a five-acre site on West Beidler Road. The resulting mulch is provided free to residents. The composting program is completely natural and no chemicals are involved.
Residents may deposit their leaves directly at the Compost Site between 7:00 am and 3:00 pm on weekdays, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm on Saturdays, and 12:00 noon to 4:00 pm on Sundays.
Leaves and bags should be curbside on the Monday of the week scheduled for a particular neighborhood. Leaf piles can be two feet wide and should not block stormwater drains. Weather permitting, there will be a final sweep of all neighborhoods after the scheduled pick-ups in December.
- To be collected, leaves must be raked to the curb or be in biodegradable paper (not plastic) leaf bags along your curb. Paper bags are available at your local home center.
- Leaves and bags must be curbside on the Monday of the scheduled week of pick-up. Township employees and equipment are not permitted on private property for collections.
- Leaves or bags will not be collected if leaves contain sticks, stones, or other debris.
- Please keep leaf piles to 24 inches (two feet) in width.
- Keep stormwater drains, inlets, roadways, and sidewalks free from leaf piles.
- Keep trees trimmed to 11 feet above edge of pavement to allow for the passage of collection trucks.
- Leaf and grass burning are prohibited.
Fall Leaf Collection Program begins the week of October 26, 2015 and ends the week of November 30, 2015.
Please click "Collections Zone" to view the schedule for your neighborhood.