Per Upper Merion Township Code all residents and Businesses must recycle. Residents of Upper Merion Township shall separate recyclable materials from the municipal waste generated at their property. When placed at the curb for collection recyclable materials shall be placed in separate, reusable metal or plastic containers which clearly identify the contents as recyclables.
Businesses in Upper Merion Township (commercial, institutional, multifamily residential or municipal) shall be responsible for providing a system to source separate and collect recyclable materials. The system must provide for suitable containers for the collection of these materials and must be placed adjacent to containers for municipal waste (i.e., generators should have to travel no additional distance to place recyclables in outside containers than they travel to dispose of their normal municipal waste).
All Residents and Businesses shall have municiple waste collected by a municipal waste collector who is legally operating within the Township, and collections shall be no less frequent than 1 Time per week.
- Steel and bimetal cans.
- Clear and colored glass, including bottles and jars made of clear and colored glass, but excluding porcelain and ceramic products.
- Newsprint and high grade office paper.
- Corrugated paper including all material commomly referred to as cardboard.
- Plastics, specifically including # 1 & # 2 plastic containers
- Any other material collected for recycling from an establishment by agreementwith waste hauler.
No person shall place municipal waste in containers used for the separation and collection of recyclables; no person shall place recyclable materials in containers used for the separation and collection of municipal waste.
The burning of any recyclable materials, municipal waste, or leaf waste is prohibited.
7. Frequently Asked Questions
How can I dispose of paint?
1. Latex based paint can be placed in with the municipal waste: However you will need to dry it out first. You can leave the lid off for a period of time or place shredded paper or cat litter in a box and slowly pour paint over the material.
2. Oil based paint can be dropped off at any of the HHW collection sites.If you have full cans try donating to Habitat for Humanity or your local church.
How can I dispose of old computers?
1. The place you purchase your new computer should have a program in place to take the old unit off of your hands.
2. Most of the HHW collections will take computer components.
How can I dispose of an old refrigerator?
1. If the unit is still working PECO has a program to remove inefficient units 1-888-5-PECO-SAVE
2. Contact your trash hauler: however the unit will need to have the freon removed.
3. Drop off at a scrap yard. (see Non Act 101 material recycling page)
How can I dispose of old motor oil?
1. All of the HHW collections take motor oil.
2. Check with your local service station; some do take small amounts of used oil.
How can I dispose of an old television set?
1. All of the HHW collections take televisions under 30 inches.
2. Some of the local scrap yards take old televisions. (see Non Act 101 material recycling page)