Commercial Tenant Fit Out Building Permit Submittal Requirements
** CURRENT CODE: 2009 INTERNATIONAL BUILDING CODES, 2008 NEC (NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE) according to Upper Merion Township Ordinance 2009-783
For all Commercial Tenant Fit Out Building Permits, the following is required for submittal:
- Building Permit and Use and Occupancy Permit applications must be completed and signed. Be advised that incomplete applications will be returned.
- Two sets of signed and sealed construction drawings are required, including mechanical, electrical, and fire suppression.
- The building permit fee is based on the costs of construction for the building portion of the job. Do not include the costs of electrical, plumbing, sprinklers, and mechanical work; all require their own permit. Cosmetic work (i.e., painting, carpeting, and shelving, etc.) can also be deducted from the costs of construction.
- The permit fee is $40 for the first $1,000 and $30 for each additional $1,000 or fraction thereof. The Pennsylvania surcharge is $4. PERMIT FEE REQUIRED UPON SUBMITTAL
- A Use and Occupancy Permit is required prior to tenant move-in. A Use and Occupancy Permit is required for any new tenant or any change of use or size of the existing space. The Permit Fee is based on the square footage of the space: $125 for spaces less than 10,000 square feet and $230 for spaces greater than 10,000 square feet.
- The plan’s review and issuance of the permit can take up to 30 working days. King of Prussia Mall building permits require landlord approval.
- 24-hour notice is required for any request for inspection. Contact inspector for Appointment.
- Construction hours are limited to 7:00 am to 9:00 pm, Monday through Friday, and 8:00 am to 9:00 pm on the weekends. These restrictions are waived if the sound from the construction cannot be heard off the property.
- All contractors associated with the job must apply to Upper Merion Township for all applicable permits and, in addition, contractor and business privilege registrations.