No Wi-Fi? No problem! Borrow one of UMTL’s portable hotspots for instant access to Wi-Fi at home or on-the-go. Each hotspot connects up to 10 Wi-Fi devices, including laptops, tablets, and smartphones. Hotspots are checked out for 1 week (no renewals) and are great for traveling, but they only work within the continental U.S.
How do I borrow a hotspot?
- Anyone age 18+ with an Upper Merion Township Library card in good standing can borrow a Wi-Fi hotspot
- You may only check out one hotspot device per household at any time
- Hotspots are available on a first-come, first-served basis with no holds allowed
- Must present proof of a valid library account at the time of checkout
- Must have no more than $30.00 of outstanding account charges
- Must read and sign this agreement at the Check-out Desk in the presence of a staff member every time a hotspot is checked out
- You can borrow and return a Wi-Fi hotspot only at the Check-Out Desk at the Upper Merion Township Library. Wi-Fi hotspots cannot be returned in the book drop or to another library
Hotspot lending rules
- Hotspots must be checked-out on the library card of the patron signing this Electronic Borrowing Agreement
- Hotspots are checked out for one week; no renewals
- The device must be checked out from and returned to the Upper Merion Township Library Check-out Desk.
- DO NOT RETURN TO ANY OTHER LIBRARY OR IN THE BOOK DROP
- As with all electronic devices, use care when handling
- As a courtesy to other borrowers, return hotspots fully charged
Fines and Liability
- A $5.00 Late Return Fee will be charged to the patron’s account every day an item is kept past the due date (hotspots are exempt from UMTL’s fine-free policy.)
- The hotspot Wi-Fi service will be turned off when overdue.
- A $25.00 fee will be charged to the borrower’s account if the device is returned in a book drop or to another library
- The borrower accepts full responsibility for the device while in possession, including financial liability and costs associated with damage or loss of the hotspot due to neglect or abuse.
- The replacement cost for the T-Mobile Hotspot is $100
- Disclaimers – Internet content filtering is NOT provided with UMTL hotspots. The library does not track any internet usage. By using the hotspot, you are agreeing that you will not take part in any illegal activities.
- The Library is not responsible for any files, data, or personal information accessed or transmitted using the Wi-Fi hotspot.
- If traveling outside the Philadelphia area, please check the T-Mobile coverage map for your destination.
Please note: You can only use the hotspot inside the continental US. There is no international data or roaming.
- Please review our UMTL Borrowing Agreement before checking out a hotspot.