Before the Storm
- Find safe shelter right away.
- Do not walk, swim or drive through flood waters. Turn Around, Don’t Drown!
- Stay off bridges over fast-moving water.
- Stay inside your car if it is trapped in rapidly moving water. Get on the roof if water is rising inside the car.
- Get to the highest level if trapped in a building. Only get on the roof if necessary and once there signal for help. Do not climb into a closed attic to avoid getting trapped by rising floodwater.
- Evacuate if told to do so.
- Move to higher ground or a higher floor.
- Stay where you are.
During the Storm
- Stay off the road if possible. If you must travel, get traffic information from 511pa.com.
- Check the Upper Merion Township website, social media pages, or television channel (UMGA-TV can be found on Comcast Channel 22 and Verizon Channel 33) to learn about closures, snow emergency declarations, meeting cancellations, and more.
- Check Upper Merion Area School District’s website for information about school delays, early dismissals, and closures.
- Do not call 9-1-1 to ask about school closings/early dismissals or to report power outages. If you experience an outage, contact PECO at 1-800-841-4141 or www.peco.com
- Check PECO’s new Outage Map to see the cause, geographical impact, and estimated restoration for your area. Learn more.
- If you have an emergency, please dial 9-1-1.
- Please check on friends and neighbors who live alone.
- While you’re home, download movies, books, and more from Upper Merion Township Library‘s eLibrary.
After the storm
- Remain cautious while driving through areas prone to flooding, as roads, creeks, and streams may have been impacted.
- Do not walk, swim or drive through flood waters. Turn Around. Don’t Drown!
- Do not drink flood water, or use it to wash dishes, brush teeth, or wash/prepare food. Drink clean, safe water.
- If you evacuated, return to your home only after local authorities have said it is safe to do so.
- When in doubt, throw it out! Throw away any food and bottled water that comes/may have come into contact with floodwater.
- Use a generator or other gasoline-powered machinery ONLY outdoors and away from windows.