2021 Application Process Now Open!
The Upper Merion Township Board of Community Assistance (BCA) application process is officially open for the 2021 awards. Applications will be accepted through April 15, 2021.
Once the application(s) is filled, please email it to Gerri Vattimo, Marketing and Sponsorships Manager, or mail to:
Board of Community Assistance
c/o Gerri Vattimo
Upper Merion Township
175 West Valley Forge Road
King of Prussia, PA 19406
Non-profit organizations and Upper Merion students are encouraged to apply for one of many possible grants that are awarded through the BCA each year.
The BCA was established in 2013 through a partnership between Upper Merion Township and the Valley Forge Casino Resort. The purpose of the BCA is to provide financial assistance to organizations via grants that benefit Upper Merion residents and scholarships for graduating high school seniors who reside in Upper Merion Township.
“The BCA grants are an incredible benefit to our residents and community organizations,” said Greg Waks, Supervisor and Liaison to the BCA. “I strongly encourage organizations that provide services to Upper Merion residents and graduating high school seniors from Upper Merion who are looking to continue their education to apply.”
Did You Know?
In 2020, over $178,000 was awarded to 56 recipients – 29 Organizations, 3 Sports, and 24 Scholarships, including the General von Steuben $10,000 scholarship and five Ronald G. Wagenmann $5,000 scholarships.
Since its 2013 inception, the BCA has provided more than one million dollars in grants to local organizations and college scholarships for Upper Merion graduates.
Purpose of the BCA
- To advise the Board of Supervisors for the disbursement of all monies received by the Township from the Valley Forge Casino Resort (VFCR) for the purpose of assisting non-profit and/or 501 (c) organizations and college scholarship recipients. All monies received for disbursement from other sources will be considered in the same manner as set forth in the policy.
- To make an annual report to the Board of Supervisors including all monies received and the disbursement of these monies to non-profit and 501 (c) organizations proven to meet the need as established by the Board of Supervisors.
- To offer all non-profit and/or 501 (c) organizations in the Township the ability to appeal to the BCA for consideration in a time of need.
- To enhance the partnership between VFCR and Upper Merion Township to offer charitable assistance and support to the needy non-profits and 501 (c) organizations in the Township.
Membership and Term of the BCA
Membership will consist of five (5) members; two (2) chosen by the VFCR and three (3) Township citizens appointed by the Board of Supervisors. There will be no set terms for the VFCR appointees, and they will serve on the BCA at the pleasure of the VFCR. Terms of the Township appointees will be as follows: one (1) will serve a one-year term; one (1) will serve a two-year term; and one (1) will serve a three-year term. A chairperson will be selected from the membership of the BCA during January of each year at its re-organization meeting. The staff liaison to the BCA is the Township Manager or his designee.
Township citizens desiring to apply to serve on the BCA shall possess:
- Knowledge of the 501 (c) organizations as per the United States Internal Revenue Code.
- General knowledge and understanding of the history, mission services, operations and activities of non-profit and/or 501 (c) organizations in areas of the following: Cultural, Arts and Humanities Organizations; Education and College Scholarship criteria; Health and Wellness organizations; Historic Preservation; Workforce Development/Economic Opportunity, Environmental Sustainability.
- Working knowledge and familiarity of the proposed beneficiaries of the program.
- Working knowledge and familiarity with the Rules of Law and Ethics.
- Knowledge of Finance and experience with disbursement of monies.
The BCA will meet a minimum of every other month and will meet more frequently as necessary to evaluate cases of need.
Agendas, Minutes & Applications
- UMASD SCHOOL BOARD BCA Presentation Feb1 2021 Update (1.6 MiB)
- News Release - 2021 BCA Awards Applications Open (0.2 MiB)
- Board Policy 2020-01 - Board Of Community Assistance Updated (74 KiB)
- BCA Scholarship Service Project Report Directions (0.3 MiB)
- BCA Organization Project Report Directions (0.2 MiB)
- Application - Scholarship 2021 (0.1 MiB)
- Application - Organization 2021 (0.2 MiB)