ABOUT THE K-9 UNIT
Police K-9 Units are an integral part of law enforcement, which help make the community a safer place to live. A K-9s’ keen sense of smell makes them very effective in searching for a variety of explosive materials in a variety of places throughout the community. The dogs’ detection skills can also assist the department in locating missing people and assist in apprehending suspects. Police K-9s fill an important role in our daily police work of building and maintaining strong community relations.
Through much training and upkeep, the Upper Merion Township K-9 unit has been able to assist our community in many ways, such as:
- Perform area searches to track and locate suspects
- Extensively train in conducting explosive detection
- Detect hidden firearms, expended casings, and other evidence
- Assist in locating lost or missing persons
- Perform valuable educational demonstrations and programs