Fall has arrived, and so has the annual Upper Merion Township Fall Leaf Collection Program! Here’s everything you need to know about keeping your curbside leaf collection hassle-free:
When Does it Start? The leaf collection program kicks off on October 30, so mark your calendars!
How Does it Work?
- Leaves are collected twice per zone.
- You’ll need to place your leaves and bags curbside by the Monday of the scheduled week for pickup.
- If you still have leaves after the second scheduled collection, use biodegradable paper bags and take them to the Compost Site for processing.
What About Equipment? Our highway staff will be hard at work using front-end loaders with claw buckets in certain areas of each zone. If the claw doesn’t get everything during the first scheduled pickup, staff will return for the second pickup using heavy-duty vacuums in all zones (weather permitting).
Be Patient, Please! Our Public Works Department asks for your patience as staff works diligently to clear away leaf debris quickly before winter weather sets in.
Why We Do It For over 40 years, Upper Merion Township has been composting leaves into mulch, which we provide free to our residents. This environmentally-friendly program is completely natural, with no chemicals involved.
What If It Snows? If winter weather strikes during leaf collection season, our equipment will be ready to handle it. Adjustments will be made to the Leaf Collection Program as needed.
Guidelines for a Smooth Collection
- Leaves must be raked to the curb or placed in biodegradable paper (not plastic) leaf bags along your curb.
- Make sure they’re curbside on the Monday of the scheduled pickup week. Our teams can’t enter private property for collections.
- Avoid sticks, stones, or other debris in your leaf piles.
- Keep your leaf piles two feet wide and away from stormwater drains.
- Maintain trimmed trees at 11 feet above the edge of the pavement to allow for collection trucks’ passage.
- Remember, no leaf or grass burning is allowed.
Leaf Collection Schedule For details on when your area is scheduled for leaf collection, check out the 2023 Leaf Collection Schedule here.
Join us in keeping Upper Merion Township beautiful and vibrant this fall season!